Re: SHOW: People's choice vs judged show

  • Subject: Re: SHOW: People's choice vs judged show
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 16:48:12 -0400

East Tennessee Iris Society (down the pike a bit from Iris Society of
America's First Frontier) started out with 'show n tell', then switched
to judged shows.

I much prefer the informality of the show n tell (People's choice) shows
we used to do.  Instead of a frantic rush to get ready the night before,
then stampede to get all the show stalks groomed & design classes set up
in the morning, all the while telling non members to wait till after 1
pm to look at the flowers and start the sale (by which time we are all
exhausted) takes the fun out of it for me.  In the show 'n tell, we
spent most of our time following the frenzy of the first hour of the
morning sale talking with visitors, visiting with club members,
explaining the whats & whys of form & showing visitors how to hybridize
etc.  We came & went in shifts, instead of everybody having to be there
in the morning.  & can you imagine pulling apart a queen of show blossom
to demonstrate making a cross? <g>

But that's just my preference - the rest of the club voted for a judged
show every year so I try to do my part.  Including driving 100+ miles
roundtrip, staying till the bitter end, removing bunting stapled to
tables that the mall provided, folding and helping carry off huge & very
heavy tables, & giving away flower stalks.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!