Re: SHOW: Judged or People's Choice

  • Subject: Re: SHOW: Judged or People's Choice
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:57:44 -0400

<The preparations are about the same for either a judged show or
display, and you are just as tired when it is all over, so why not make
it official and have it judged? >

The big difference that I see re: exhaustion is that (at least the way
we used to do it) with an informal show that is open to the public all
day, not everybody had to be there first thing in the morning and not
all the irises had to be there - members came when they could and stayed
awhile, bringing irises to sell or display.  And there was no grooming -
our goal was to show the diversity of bloom, not showmanship.  [Or am I
off here - isn't a show stalk judged on presentation and how good an
example of the cultivar it is?]  So there was a lot less preparation and
less frenzy compressed into the morning.  More stalks were brought - a
fallen, sideways blooming stalk was welcome as well as perfect 'show
stalks'.

 Or maybe it's just 'cause I'm a few years older than when we did the
fun shows & I have to drive farther to our new location.  After this
one, I never want to go again.  I'll recover by next year, but it isn't
something I enjoy and I DID enjoy the fun shows very much.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
south Roane County, 50 miles south of Knoxville & probably >100 miles
south of the First Frontier in Greeneville

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.