Re: HYB: REB: question Immortality as parent?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: REB: question Immortality as parent?
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 21:45:36 -0500

Linda

>Any suggestions other than the usual rot treatments to help prevent
>stalk/pod rot?

I have more problems with varmints getting the pods than rot, but I also
strip a stalk of all the leaves.  I've found the joints where the leaves,
spathes etc. join the stalk to be hiding places for unwelcome bugs and a
water trap, so I strip the stalks completely down to the ground.  Doesn't
seem to do any harm and it enables me to see any critters of the crawling
variety if I'm there at the right time.  Didn't save 3 pods I really wanted
this year from a near-grown racoon, though.  It was just curious I think,
because they were torn, but not eaten.  Unfortunately for the young fellow,
the dogs (unknown gifts tossed out by someone), killed it for trespassing
and for the last three days it has been the prize toy for one dog.  I
finally managed to get the poor thing hauled off today.  Prior to this every
time I tried to get it she grabbed it an ran off with it.  For a dead
animal, it has sure moved around a lot the last three days!  Ugh!  Town
folks don't know what they're missing.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA