Re: Re: SHOW: People's choice vs judged show

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: SHOW: People's choice vs judged show
  • From: dwiris@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 23:34:25 EDT

In a message dated 5/14/02 4:53:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

> In the show 'n tell, we
> spent most of our time following the frenzy of the first hour of the
> morning sale talking with visitors, visiting with club members,
> explaining the whats & whys of form & showing visitors how to hybridize
> etc.  We came & went in shifts, instead of everybody having to be there
> in the morning.

Hi Linda,

My question is what are you selling?  Cut stems, rhizomes, potted irises or
other plants?  It seems to me that both showing and selling would be very
exhausting.  We don't have enough active members to have shifts coming and
going.  We have to struggle to get the five exhibitors that AIS now requires
for an official show.  We just made it at our early iris show last Saturday.
We drive 70 miles round trip and were the first and last ones there.  We also
brought the vast majority of specimens and arrangements.  This resulted in
our winning Best Specimen and Runner-up, Best Seedling, Hort. Sweepstakes,
Best Design and Runner-up and Arrangement Sweepstakes.  The only award we
couldn't win was Runner-up Hort. Sweepstakes.  I would be a lot happier to
win fewer awards and have more interest in entering by our members.  And a
lot more cooperation in setting up and taking down the show.  At least, we
didn't have to move tables.  That was taken care of by the mall.

Dorothy Willott in Northern Ohio

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.