Re: Re: SHOW: Judged or People's Choice

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: SHOW: Judged or People's Choice
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 22:37:04 -0500

> The big difference that I see re: exhaustion is that (at least the way
> we used to do it) with an informal show that is open to the public all
> day, not everybody had to be there first thing in the morning and not
> all the irises had to be there - members came when they could and
> stayed awhile, bringing irises to sell or display.  And there was no
> grooming - our goal was to show the diversity of bloom, not
> showmanship.  [Or am I off here - isn't a show stalk judged on
> presentation and how good an example of the cultivar it is?]  So there
> was a lot less preparation and less frenzy compressed into the
> morning.  More stalks were brought - a fallen, sideways blooming stalk
> was welcome as well as perfect 'show stalks'.
>
>  Or maybe it's just 'cause I'm a few years older than when we did the
> fun shows & I have to drive farther to our new location.  After this
> one, I never want to go again.  I'll recover by next year, but it
> isn't something I enjoy and I DID enjoy the fun shows very much.
>
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

   Guess there are different kinds of People's Choice shows.  Ours was a dress
rehearsal for a fully accredited show.  We did grooming and used AIS tags and had
a mock queen voted on by the club membership.

   Walter Moores
   Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8 (Lined out JI seedlings over the week-end and did about
half of the bearded today in cool, sunny, low-humidity weather.  Hope to see these
bloom two years from seed.  Can I afford the water bill?)

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.