Re: Re: HYB: REB: question-Immortality as parent?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: REB: question-Immortality as parent?
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 10:25:23 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/2002 6:06:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

> As for the other questions:
> -    Anybody ever see pollen on IMMORTALITY?
> -    Others have as much trouble keeping its pods from rotting?

I was not going to post this given my disdain for being a source of
misinformation yet you are so persistent: Verdict is still out on the science
but you might try this.

Collect the anthers. Bring inside. Place in a transparent or translucent
container (string tag box works well). Place container a few inches from a
florescent light source (I'm using a 15 watt bulb in a table lamp, shade
removed, hole in tag box, attach tag box where lamp shade was). Watch
closely, anthers dry fast. Some pollen grains appear on difficult producers.
Works about 30 or 40% of time so far. Pollen grains appear smaller in
diameter than those produced on attached anthers however, are fertile and
will set pods. Have not tried on with Immortality. This is daylily
technology. Works about 95% with them. Even when anthers are collected from
unopened blooms. Opening of pollen sacks are light triggered. But plants are
reluctant to release pollen into rainy or otherwise moist environments where
it would be wasted. Smart, conservative, little dudes relative to modern
human society aren't they?

Bill Burleson 7a/b
Old South Iris Society
The moment a supposed fact is stated a foot starts for the mouth -  I. Tink

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!