OT: BIO -- Intro

  • Subject: OT: BIO -- Intro
  • From: "hotknotman" <hotknotman@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:40:35 -0000

OT-BIO:  I just joined yesterday.  Thanks for providing All About in
the Files section.  That answered a lot of my questions.  I still
have one other question.  I'm sure if I combed through the more than
34,000 posts I could find the answer, but I really don't have the
time.  Is there a map somewhere on which I could see the "zones"
people refer to?

I fell in love with Irises as a child.  I practically memorized
Cooley's Iris Garden's catalog.  ("New pinks from Dave Hall!  New
plicatas from Jim Riddle!  New browns from Dr. Kleinsorge!)  My mouth
would water when I looked at the pictures of "Tahola", "Silvertone"
and "Festoon."  They were $30 a rhizome.  I would buy the sixty cent
varieties like "Voodoo" and "Wabash."  I would save my allowance
money and buy rhizomes.  By the time I left for college I had over 50
varieties.  A lot of these were given to me.  My iris collection did
not really look spectacular until I was away at college.  My mother
took photographs of them and told me that they were stopping traffic
in front of the house.

I've lived in Manhattan since 1967, so I haven't grown any iris in
all that time.  But I'll retire in about 10 or 12 years and when I do
I want to go somewhere where I can have an iris garden.  I was
delighted to find this site which brought back so many memories.
I've read the 50 most recent messages, and I'll try to catch up.

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!