HYB: Celebration Song as parent

  • Subject: HYB: Celebration Song as parent
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 18:39:42 -0400

Francelle Edwards   Glendale, AZ  Zone 9 said:
<Linda, we don't have any stalk rot here, too dry, but Celebration Song
is the most rhizome rot prone iris I have.  It just won't set pods, but
its pollen is very fertile on almost everything.>

Very rarely see the rhizomes of C SONG rot here (isn't that odd???).
But it is very pollen fertile on most everything here also, and very
willing to produce abundant pollen regardless of late freezes.  A couple
of the seedlings from the cross with IMMORTALITY were (potentially)
similar to your beautiful orchid, but were damaged by the late freezes
and didn't develop normally.

<My beautiful orchid, 21-15 A, has all its bad habits, so I will never
introduce it.  I am trying to make crosses with 21-15-A that will retain
its color but eliminate its problems. >

Here's hoping Murphy leaves you alone in that quest. <g>

I have a few seedlings from C SONG crossed with tougher cultivars that
are showing no signs of rotted pods (no signs of successful pods either,
but at least they aren't rotting, just stop growing & fall).  A nice one
from GOLDEN APPLE with small but very lovely blooms on a perfectly
branched stalk that snapped in half in one of our high winds - at least
the stalk didn't fall down <g>.  Sort of a dark pinkish mauve.

<Did you get your pretty seedling sent to the convention gardens?>

Which one? <g>  Not yet - been too busy wallowing in the best bloom
season I can remember in years, madly making (mostly unsuccessful)
crosses.  I hope they don't expect to receive them until normal
digging/planting time.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Kwick Pick opens locked car doors,
front doors, drawers, briefcases,