Re: HYB: Record Keeping

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Record Keeping
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 19:06:25 -0400

Some folks also note time of day and weather conditions.

I've been trying to note pollen & stigma appearance (mostly not good -
clumpy pollen, curled up, dry, or even missing stigmatic lips).

For me, the most important record keeping is keeping all the lineages in
mind when I can't make the cross I intended to make and wind up doing
something sort of aimed at the same result....and keeping track of how a
potential parent cultivar has performed for several years, not just this
year.  Makes a difference in what you cross with what.  I'm getting less
able to carry all that info around in my head while sitting in the iris
patch cyphering what to cross next since nothing I planned is possible
(no pollen, no bloom, etc)

Also, try to settle on some kind of code for the seedlings that will be
easy to remember and easy to read, both in your own handwriting and in
the published registration books (confusing ones, ells, and eyes; zeros
& ohs).  Also, I like Ben Hager's system of using a few letters at the
end of the numbers to indicate color.

Hope that helps.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Buy Stock for $4