Re: OT: BIO -- Intro -- Can grow iris in pots, also plant in public spaces

  • Subject: Re: OT: BIO -- Intro -- Can grow iris in pots, also plant in public spaces
  • From: "gesinelohr" <GesineLohr@excite.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 04:15:46 -0000

Hi Mick,

Welcome!  I grew up 12 miles from NYC, in New Jersey.

Do you have any patio space with sun?  It's easy to grow iris in
pots, we've done it from necessity before we had our tiny yard.

Also, and I used to do this in NYC, you can either talk with
people and plant iris at their place (surprisingly easy to do!),
OR, find neglected public spaces, and plant iris in them!
I used to do this with INDIAN CHIEF, before I knew its name.
We used to call this "iris terrorism", before that word couldn't
be used in a joking way.

Near a friend's house here (San Francisco bay area), someone
planted a bunch of old purple iris in a large traffic triangle --
they apparently over time planted it all over it -- and it's
awesome at bloom time!

Have you looked at the Historic Iris Preservation Society's
page, www.worldiris.com, select HIPS -- lots of great pictures
of oldies.

Please don't wait til you retire, to grow some iris!

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.