Re: CULT: rows vs beds

  • Subject: Re: CULT: rows vs beds
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 07:01:26 -0400

Someone asked about cultivars that thrive in garden beds vs 'corn rows'.

Seems like most TBs must be selected growing in heavily cultivated rows
- at least that seems to be the only way most of them will grow well
here in the often rainy, hot, humid southeast.  I'm also very interested
in finding TBs that will thrive in a crowded cottage garden type
environment.

I've been told that rebloomers are more likely to tolerate those
conditions.  The only two modern TBs I've found so far that seem to
thrive in crowded beds in my difficult conditions are IMMORTALITY &
HARVEST OF MEMORIES.  I am trying my best to use them for hybridizing.

A few others that have bloomed well either this year or in the past with
dense companion plants - VICTORIA FALLS,  LIGHTNING RIDGE (I posted a
photo of this one blooming in the jungle of weeds & fescue last spring),
LACY SNOWFLAKE, BLOOMIN' FOOL (these are all pretty old, therefore have
been here long enough to have been abandoned to the weeds one time or
another).  Something that looks like TITAN'S GLORY bloomed heavily in an
abandoned row this spring, but there's no label & I don't remember ever
putting it there - might be NIGHT AFFAIR.

POMPEII LADY (of all things - a Blyth  intro), NIGHT GAME, EASTER VIGIL,
ORCHID CLOUD, STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN all bloomed nicely in an overgrown bed
this year, but only with a single stalk per clump.  This seems to be
typical of cultivars that survive but don't necessarily thrive in
crowded beds - there may be several fans, but only one will bloom.  They
more or less replace themselves, but don't thrive.  A few others from
past years that have done the same: SIGN OF LEO (everbloomer &
impossible parent here), PINAFORE PINK, THEATRE, HOLY NIGHT
(rebloomer).  And a batch of two or three different older redbrowns with
gold beards.

One of the difficulties (for me anyway) with finding such tolerant
plants is the energy involved in preparing beds versus plowing rows with
the tractor.  So most of my information comes from beds that became too
much trouble to maintain.  My long term goal is to have some cultivars
of my own that will thrive in a messy bed of mixed annuals and
perennials when I am no longer able to tend to the plowed rows.

Not much information for you - hope it is of some use.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.