Re: Re: CULT: rows vs beds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: rows vs beds
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 07:26:39 -0600

> From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
> Someone asked about cultivars that thrive in garden beds vs 'corn rows'.
> (clip)

To follow-up on what Linda has said, I grow irises both in 'corn rows'
(mostly) and in garden beds (some). My experience is that bearded iris
performance cannot be sustained at the same level in mixed plantings as in
monoculture. Also, the cultural cycle (digging, dividing, and replanting)
is out of sync with just about everything else in a mixed perennial bed. I
have had very disappointing results with dwarfs, IBs, and TBs in mixed
plantings. The dwarfs tend to get overgrown, and the IBs and TBs seem to
resent not having plenty of elbow room. Among bearded irises, MTBs and BBs
have done best for me in mixed garden beds with other plants. Siberians and
spurias have done better than bearded irises in mixed plantings for me, but
even Siberians have done better when grown by themselves.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.