Re: CULT: rows vs beds

  • Subject: Re: CULT: rows vs beds
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:24:05 -0400

The original post was from NC, John, but it's still nice to hear about
bedding irises where they are happier than here <g>.

I agree with your comment about carefully picking ones that are above
average re: disease free & insect resistant.  I noticed one poor
cultivar here acting as a magnet for all the aphids today.

I think I'm going to start 3 or 4 more trials of some TBs that look like
they may have a chance with dense companions here.  Start out by digging
some holes a couple of feet across and deep, then mixing sand, compost,
alfalfa, crushed dolomitic limestone, and fertilizer.  Then try to keep
up with swapping them out as fast as they look like they aren't happy
with something else.  See if I can find a few more that will do
reasonably well.

There are some advantages to growing in a well-vegetated bed - the
foliage of other plants can provide some protection from late freezes
(see Betty's post earlier this year re: her seedlings) & also helps keep
roots cooler, conserves moisture during dry spells.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.