Re: OT: BIO -- Intro -- Can grow iris in pots, also plant in public spaces

  • Subject: Re: OT: BIO -- Intro -- Can grow iris in pots, also plant in public spaces
  • From: "hotknotman" <hotknotman@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 00:40:10 -0000

I'm still acclimatizing myself to this group, checking out the
links,
reading old posts, etc.  In answer to a couple of questions, I lived
in Irving, Texas when I had my childhood iris garden.  I'm
intrigued
by the idea of growing an iris in my Manhattan apartment, but my
feeling is that I don't get enough sunlight.  I had a beautiful
avocado tree when I first moved into this apartment, but it could not
survive here and I ended up giving it away.  I only get about an hour
of direct sunlight a day.  I would not want to be cruel to an iris.
I was delighted to see Cooley's Iris Garden mentioned in a
previous
post.  I'm glad to know they're still around.  Now, how can I
go
about getting one of the Sutton's catalogs?  Obviously I'm
not going
to buy anything, but I'd still like to look at the pictures and
read
it.  My iris garden was created from 1958 to 1963.  Those were the
years of my iris-fanaticism.  Back then the magazines and catalogs
talked about "the quest for a true red."  Was a true red iris
ever
developed?  If so, when?  Who did it?

And thanks for the link for the pix of old iris!

--- In iris-talk@y..., "gesinelohr" <GesineLohr@e...> wrote:
> Hi Mick,
>
> Welcome!  I grew up 12 miles from NYC, in New Jersey.
>
> Do you have any patio space with sun?  It's easy to grow iris in
> pots, we've done it from necessity before we had our tiny yard.
>
> Also, and I used to do this in NYC, you can either talk with
> people and plant iris at their place (surprisingly easy to do!),
> OR, find neglected public spaces, and plant iris in them!
> I used to do this with INDIAN CHIEF, before I knew its name.
> We used to call this "iris terrorism", before that word couldn't
> be used in a joking way.
>
> Near a friend's house here (San Francisco bay area), someone
> planted a bunch of old purple iris in a large traffic triangle --
> they apparently over time planted it all over it -- and it's
> awesome at bloom time!
>
> Have you looked at the Historic Iris Preservation Society's
> page, www.worldiris.com, select HIPS -- lots of great pictures
> of oldies.
>
> Please don't wait til you retire, to grow some iris!
>
> Gesine

Your opinion is very important to us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NOFBfD/uAJEAA/Ey.GAA/2gGylB/TM