CULT: Iris Bloom in Shade

  • Subject: CULT: Iris Bloom in Shade
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 07:37:00 -0600

> From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
> Contrary to conventional wisdom, most iris will grow and bloom in full to

> near full shade. Increase is slow and sometimes not at all.

Bill,

I have to agree with Vicki Craig that the amount of shade that bearded
irises can tolerate and still continue to bloom depends on where you are.
It is sunnier here than in Portland, Oregon, though the growing season is
shorter, but bearded irises will cease to bloom completely if they are
growing in half shade or more. BTW, there seems to be a contradiction in
your statement above. How can irises continue to bloom if they cease to
make increase?

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

Your opinion is very important to us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NOFBfD/uAJEAA/Ey.GAA/2gGylB/TM