Re: big seed pod and much mystery

  • Subject: Re: big seed pod and much mystery
  • From: "pinkirises" <pbrooks@whidbey.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 17:10:07 -0000

Hi Karen and Carol,

I answered your post last evening, trying to keep it minimal.  But
apparently it wasn't minimal enough, because when I finished it, it
wouldn't send, instead popped me out of both iris-talk and the net.

So I'll try again -- hopefully more briefly.  I would recommend
buying William Shear's book, available from AIS.  It's about the best
basic text there is on irises, aimed at newbies without being
condescending.  There is also the iris-talk archives.  Since I have
it on my Favorites, I forget it's address, but our fearless leader,
John Jones, can give it to you.

Basically, iris rhizomes reproduce themselves by sending out two
rhizomes (or more?) each year.  The one that sent up stalks this year
won't again, which is why they have to be divided every 2 or 3 years,
discarding the old and replanting the new.  These new rhizomes
exactly reproduce the parent plant.

However, if you get hooked on the idea of creating ABSOLUTELY NEW
irises (as most of us iris addicts have), you have to cross the
pollen of one onto the "stigmatic lip" of another.  IF the
cross 'takes', a pod will develop on the parent, in which seeds will
grow until the pod dries and cracks, meaning the seeds are fully
formed, and have to be harvested.  Not to mention dried, chilled,
soaked, and planted in pots or seedbed.  And then you deal with
germination of those seeds.

I'd estimate that half our time and space on this site is spent
discussing all these aspects of hybridization, as it's called.  All
posts beginning with HYB: pertain to it, and will provide you with
information for the rest of your natural life.

One thing you should be aware of before you expend this much time and
energy is that the rule of thumb that you'll get anything
introduceable for all your labor is @1 in 1000.

Has that stopped any of us?  No way!  The lure of creating a  brand
new iris of quality is irresistible to most of us afficionados
(sp?).  So if you're willing to get hooked, go for it!

Patricia Brooks

--- In iris-talk@y..., carol frazer <cjf5064024@y...> wrote:
> Hi Karen,
> Sorry I don't have an answer for you,but I do have a
> question. Do iris produce seeds? This might be common
> knowledge for lots,but I'm lost. I thought they came
> from rhizomes and didn't produce seeds. I've never
> seen any pods on my iris, but they just started
> blooming this year. So what's the scoop? Don't want to
> appear ignorant, but I am just learning, too. I guess
> you never learn unless you ask.
> Thanks-
> Carol <cjf5064024@y...>
> --- Karen von Bargen <esteban_maturin@y...>
> wrote:
> > Hi, All!
> >   I have got a huge seed pod on one of the iris.
> > Really big, like 4 inches long and about as big
> > around
> > as two of my fingers. Impressive to me, at least.
> > Can
> > someone direct me to a place where I can learn how
> > perhaps grow the seeds? I know it is a well
> > discussed
> > topic and do not want to clog up the line with
> > 'common
> > knowledge'. We would very much like to experiment
> > with
> > the mysterious seeds, see if we could actually get
> > anything. Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Karen von Bargen
> > San Martin, CA
> > zone 8A