Re: big seed pod and much mystery

  • Subject: Re: big seed pod and much mystery
  • From: "pinkirises" <pbrooks@whidbey.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 17:17:45 -0000

I forgot to mention that if you didn't make the cross yourself to
produce your big seed pod, a bee must have.  Apparently their fur
rubs against the pollen of one flower and they carry it to the next
and get it on that stigmatic lip -- often more effectively than we
do, it sometimes appears.  Chalk up another to Mother Nature!

--- In iris-talk@y..., "cengelstad1" <Chris.Engelstad@h...> wrote:
> try the archive feature on iris-talk or iris-photos.  another great
> resource is http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/7679/.
> yeah for plump pods!
> chris
> --- In iris-talk@y..., Karen von Bargen <esteban_maturin@y...>
> > Hi, All!
> >   I have got a huge seed pod on one of the iris.
> > Really big, like 4 inches long and about as big around
> > as two of my fingers. Impressive to me, at least. Can
> > someone direct me to a place where I can learn how to
> > perhaps grow the seeds? I know it is a well discussed
> > topic and do not want to clog up the line with 'common
> > knowledge'. We would very much like to experiment with
> > the mysterious seeds, see if we could actually get
> > anything. Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Karen von Bargen
> > San Martin, CA
> > zone 8A