HYB: Who's your daddy?

  • Subject: HYB: Who's your daddy?
  • From: "pinkirises" <pbrooks@whidbey.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 17:52:55 -0000

Hey, all,

This is probably a dumb question, but will ask anyway.

A couple of times, I have put a cross on a bloom, then noticed that I
have it marked with a previous cross (having dropped to the bottom of
the flower's stem, so not all that careless.)  Question:  If #1 took,
will #2 be rejected?  If #1 didn't take, can #2 succeed?  And this is
the dumb part -- there being three stigmatic lips, is there any
possibility that pollen on one will go down its little channel to
fertilize, and the other fertilize down its little shoot?

In short, are plants the same as people -- if you're pregnant, you're
not open to newcomers?  But if you're promiscuous, you may not know
till the little critter arrives who its daddy is?  If then?

I have such a cross, which was an important one to me and produced
the most babies, so the question is not in the abstract.

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA

Your opinion is very important to us!