Re: HYB: Who's your daddy?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: Who's your daddy?
  • From: cathycampi@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:31:37 EDT

In a message dated 5/17/02 10:53:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
pbrooks@whidbey.net writes:

> A couple of times, I have put a cross on a bloom, then noticed that I
> have it marked with a previous cross (having dropped to the bottom of
> the flower's stem, so not all that careless.)  Question:  If #1 took,
> will #2 be rejected?  If #1 didn't take, can #2 succeed?  And this is
> the dumb part -- there being three stigmatic lips, is there any
> possibility that pollen on one will go down its little channel to
> fertilize, and the other fertilize down its little shoot?

All channels lead to one place so, like sperm, only one will start the
reproductive process. Every bloom on the same plant can be fertilized, even
those in the same socket.

Bees arn't natures only pollenizers. Wind can do it too. We live in a breezy
area so we must try to pull the anthers as soon as possible if we are going
to try a cross.

Cathy Campi
Stockton Ca. Average wind speed 9 mph.

Your opinion is very important to us!