HYB: Bee Pods

  • Subject: HYB: Bee Pods
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 16:12:06 -0400

Sorry sent this first to iris-photos

In past posts I have seen it recommended to remove the stamens from the
flower you are pollinating. This is to keep bees from pollinating it. Why
could not the bee get pollen from another flower. Some say to remove the
falls or cover the flower. To me that would work better.

In my garden I get quite a few bee pods from SDB's but rarely from a TB. I
have been looking for bee pods on iris in my area after bloom time. In the
last 3 years and thousands of old bloom stalks I have seen 3  pods.

It would be nice to see some iris blooms that have not been beat down by
Wish I could send rain to some of you that need it bad.

Mike Greenfield
Zone 5b SW Ohio

Your opinion is very important to us!