RE: HYB: Who's your daddy?

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] HYB: Who's your daddy?
  • From: John Reeds <jreeds@microsensors.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:36:33 -0700

> there being three stigmatic lips, is there any possibility that pollen on
> one will go down its little channel to fertilize, and the other fertilize
> down its little shoot?
> All channels lead to one place so, like sperm, only one will start the
> reproductive process. Every bloom on the same plant can be fertilized,
> even
> those in the same socket.
I would be surprised if it were not possible for two separate grains of
pollen to each give rise to their own seeds.  The only question, then, would
be the permissible delay if the two pollen grains were not introduced
simultaneously.  I do not know if successfully making a cross on one lip
would terminate the fertility of the other two.  I may be totally wrong, but
I would think there would be some significance to the three-lobed pods.  Is
anyone more ambitious than me, or should I make the experiment.  Say a
pastel plicata crossed with another plicata, a dark self, and a pale
space-age luminata (may not be many of those on the market; I have a bunch
but they're all short and unimpressive in the first generation).  The
seedlings should be distinct IF each one "takes" in its own channel.  I
don't have the space to waste 3 years finding out.

John Reeds, 9b southern California

Your opinion is very important to us!