Re: HYB: Who's the daddy?

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Who's the daddy?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 20:56:52 -0400

<The seedlings should be distinct IF each one "takes" in its own
channel.  I don't have the space to waste 3 years finding out.  John
Reeds, 9b southern California >

Sometimes, if I have few receptive flowers and little decent pollen &
would like either cross (may the best man win!), I will put mixed pollen
to increase the odds of at least getting something.  This year, most of
the mixes were siblings, so I won't be able to sort out which were the
fathers (tho all the grandparents will be known).

However, last year, I put a mix of pollen from INTO THE NIGHT and a
peach 'umbrata' that might be PEACH SPOT or CORAL BEAUTY or something
similar (see last year's photo) onto one bloom and have seedlings
growing like mad, so there's a chance I will be able to tell if they all
came from one or both daddys.  I haven't looked at INTO THE NIGHT's
ancestry lately, but seems like I recall it was dark quite a ways back;
similarly, I think those peachy 'umbratas' are yellow/cream/pink most of
the way back EXCEPT where they originate the white top with WINE & ROSES
or WHOLE CLOTH.  Seems like I remember W&R is a recessive amoena (?) and
WHOLE CLOTH is dominant, which might add another marker...

Check back in another 2 or 3 years - we'll all still be here, won't we?
<g>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Your opinion is very important to us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NOFBfD/uAJEAA/Ey.GAA/2gGylB/TM