Re: HYB: Who's your daddy?

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Who's your daddy?
  • From: "pinkirises" <pbrooks@whidbey.net>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 05:09:22 -0000

Can't wait for your research, Kelly.  What a fascinating possibility
John raises.  I'm ready to be the experimenter for the future.  With
my next cross probably.

I don't know if the seedlings I have now will give us any definitive
answer, but should offer likelihoods, I think.  The first cross (on
Sky Blue Pink) was from Lavender Icicle, the second from Titan's
Glory -- pretty different cvs.  They should have been very close
together, because I always cross on a newly opened flower.  And I
always cross all three lips.

Hmmm...  I can imagine all sorts of variables on this experiment:
all three by one, then the other; each lip a different
pollination...  I'll probably try to go for very different
pollinators, but on the same bloom, since my experience last year --
my first pollen-daubing -- I often crossed several flowers on one
stem, but only the top (terminal?) bloom ever took the cross.  Think
I'll try three crosses, one on each lip.  Stay tuned.

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA, where it's still cold and the TB season is about
half over.  Handy for experiments.

--- In iris-talk@y..., "Kelly D. Norris" <kellydn@f...> wrote:
> I believe John Reeds you are on the right track.  Such processes
are called "double fertilization" I believe.  Let me dig out my
biology and genetics textbooks and see if I can come up with a
definitive answer.
> Botanically,
>

> Mr. Kelly D. Norris
> Master Gardener/Freelance Writer