Re: HYB:double fertilization

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk]HYB:double fertilization
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:44:04 EDT

Bill I've following with a heightened curiosity the Who's Your Daddy postings
hoping a knowledgeable authority on the subject might emerge. You appear to
have garnered that title. My knowledge is grounded in daylilies and I need
some help reconciling some of the differences between irises and daylilies
that may or may not exist.

The growth of the pollen tubes through the style to the ovary takes about 2
hours in a diploid daylily and 4 hours in a tetraploid. Do you know or do you
know a credible source that suggest how long this process takes in iris?

Other questions:
Is there a finite number of pollen tubes the growth channel in a single iris
style can accommodate?

Once pollen germinates on the at the entrance to the growth channel, does the
stigmatic lip begin to deteriorate? If so, once deterioration begins will
that style still accept pollen? If so, how soon after germination would it be
obseravable with the naked eye?

Do all iris ovaries generally contain the same number of unfertilized ovules?
Is this a finite number and if so what is that number?

Any help answers/source for answers you provide will be much appreciated,

Bill Burleson 7a/b
Old South Iris Society
I stare in the face of a flower and once again experience the awe of a child.
- I. Tink

Your opinion is very important to us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NOFBfD/uAJEAA/Ey.GAA/2gGylB/TM