Re: HYB:"Bee" pods

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB:"Bee" pods
  • From: wmoores@watervalley.net
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:30:33 -0500 (CDT)

In a message dated 5/20/2002 9:46:55 AM Central Daylight Time,
wshear@email.hsc.edu writes:

<< others to wind-borne pollen. >>

Bill, one would expect a very low seed count on these pods?  Or is pollen
blown about in clumps?

 Betty Wilkerson Zone 7 SouthCentral Kentucky

Excellent question.  If the pod parent is a good one and I have space
and the inclination, I let 'bee pods' mature.  In almost all cases, all
chambers have been full of seeds, so fifty to seventy-five pollen
grains landed on the stigmatic lip of this one iris?

Some of what we are talking about here is 'deja vu all over again.'
Rarely do I put pollen on all three lips, and I get full pods.  Dr.
Denman used to say, 'It takes only one grain!'  And he said that in
reference to getting a full pod.

I wonder about hybridizers like Neva Sexton who used toothpicks
to daub pollen.  How many grains are actually on the tip of that

I don't ever remember a pod where I suspected multiple fathers like pink
plicatas, black selfs, and red-bearded whites all out of the same pod.
I don't emasculate the flowers or cover them with bonnets after daubing.

More things to ponder.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Your opinion is very important to us!