TB: CULT: Short stalks

I have just finished the reports on 158 guest irises I am growing.  I have found that almost 90% of these first year irises had short stalks that bloomed down in the clumps.  I don't think that it is a cultural problem as most of the clumps look strong and healthy though a few are showing signs of bloom-out danger.  They bloom in full sun in a bed well amended with sand and compost.  They are watered with both flood irrigation and soaker hoses and never allowed to go dry.   Almost all the early bloomers had few double socketed buds, but the late bloomers produced a normal number of buds.  It must have something to do with weather and perhaps with climate change for the out of state plants.

Francelle Edwards   Glendale,  AZ  Zone 9

Your opinion is very important to us!