Re: CULT: Short stalks

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Short stalks
  • From: donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:35:07 GMT

Jeff writes:

> I think it depends on what stage of development the
stalks were in when you
> had a spell of cold weather. We had hard freezes here on
the nights of May
> 6 & 7 (just when most of my irises were beginning to
stalk up), and now
> nearly every mature clump has stalks from down in the
fans to up in the sky
> and everywhere in between.

I think this is what happens.  I personally am doubtful
there is much involved via the genetic makeup other than
plants whose genetic growth tends to coincide with the
usual late cold snaps.  So if the timing is right (wrong?),
the plant may end up with a short stalk.  I also think only
a very few hours of growth (a small window) makes a
difference, so you see both tall and short stalks on the
same clump.  Many cultivation variables could cause the
plant growth to be at the susceptible stage regardless of
the genetic makeup.  The genes would be factor inasmuch as
the natural growth rate inherent in a plant growing in
climates that tend to promote growth at the wrong time.
But I doubt any iris is immune to the effects.  Depending
on the stage of growth and the timing of the freeze, I
would expect any to exhibit the effects when they are
caught.

An opinion based on the variability of the effect seen
under my variable growing conditions.  I've pretty much
seen the stunted stalks on most everything at one time or
another IF they are cultivars that bloom every year.  This
last limits the numbers so it has to taken with the
proverbial grain of salt.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

> Jeff Walters in northern Utah  (USDA Zone 4/5, Sunset
Zone 2, AHS Zone 7)
> jcwalters@bridgernet.com
>

> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor -----------
> Take the Yahoo! Groups survey for a chance to win $1,000.
> Your opinion is very important to us!
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/NOFBfD/uAJEAA/Ey.GAA/2gGylB/TM
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

This message was provided by TXOL Internet.
http://www.txol.net/

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!