Re: CULT: Short stalks

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Short stalks
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:52:14 -0400

Donald Eaves in Texas said:
<I personally am doubtful   there is much involved via the genetic
makeup other than plants whose genetic growth tends to coincide with
the  usual late cold snaps. ....Many cultivation variables could cause
the  plant growth to be at the susceptible stage regardless of  the
genetic makeup. The genes would be factor inasmuch as
the natural growth rate inherent in a plant growing in  climates that
tend to promote growth at the wrong time. But I doubt any iris is immune
to the effects. Depending
 on the stage of growth and the timing of the freeze, I  would expect
any to exhibit the effects when they are  caught......... I've pretty
much seen the stunted stalks on most everything at one time or   another
IF they are cultivars that bloom every year. >

My observations coincide with yours for a lot of cultivars, but not
all.  There is a subset that gets frozen out (doesn't bloom at all) if
it gets hit at the wrong (right?) time, but will otherwise bloom
consistently at about the same height every year that it blooms.
Sometimes these cultivars will even produce stalks the 'normal' height
but with withered, brown buds.

I wonder if this is a pallida trait - certainly this is how the common
pallida in this area behaves....all or nothing.  A short list of "all or
nothing' stalk cultivars here: NIGHT GAME, DUSKY CHALLENGER, I. pallida,
LIGHTNING RIDGE, BLOOMIN' FOOL, LACY SNOWFLAKE.  I think HARVEST OF
MEMORIES is like this also - but I'm not positive.  It usually doesn't
give me much spring bloom (neither does pallida).

Donald's post didn't make it into Mallorn (neither did one of my baby
pix).

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.