RE: REB: Smith vs Gibson vs G.P. Brown genes

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] REB: Smith vs Gibson vs G.P. Brown genes
  • From: John Reeds <jreeds@microsensors.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:11:15 -0700

> It seems like rebloomers with G.P.Brown rebloomer background (several
> Zurbrigg irises) are more reliable, less likely to stunt, more likely to
> bloom, more likely to be pod & pollen fertile, and more likely to thrive
> here than rebloomers with Smith (PURPLE DUET, BLACK DUET) or Gibson
> (GIBSON GIRL?) backgrounds.
> Are there other major progenitor hybridizers of rebloom genes?
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

The late Monty Byers specialized in rebloomers and space-agers.  I'm not
sure what his bloodlines trace back too,  but for me most of his things have
been excellent growers, tall, dependable, well branched/high bud count, etc.
They have generally been very fertile and not prone to weird stalks, extra
falls, missing standards, pineappling, etc.  For me, Stingray,
Reincarnation, Eggnog, and Rock Star (more of a BB despite its registration)
might be the best.  Mesmerizer wasn't bad, but mine seems to have
disappeared when Stingray crowded it out.  Lost it once before due to rot;
this time I won't replace it.  The form just doesn't do much for me, despite
the novelty of the massive appendages.

Some of the Sutton things are very healthy garden plants, and generally
better looking than the dated form of the Byers things.  Haven't had them
long enough to judge rebloom consistency.

If Double Dribble (Ghio) really reblooms, it will be a great iris.  It grows
and blooms well; this is its second year for me and the first out of a pot.
Double Click was a striking flower, but it is too new to my garden for a
fair appraisal.  Ghio isn't really known as a rebloom hybridizer, but a
number of his recent intros claim to rebloom.  If any rebloom consistently,
it would probably represent a major step towards more modern form for
rebloomers.  Ghio's stuff has always been among the most beautiful.

And of course, I'm a warm climate zone 9b (southern California), so maybe
none of this applies in cold climate areas.

John Reeds

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.