HYB:seeds that didn't germinate

  • Subject: HYB:seeds that didn't germinate
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 21:45:59 -0500

Hello Folks,

Been planting out the seedlings for a week or so now.  Since half of what
I'm planting are seeds that germinated last fall and during the winter
months rather than from the seeds collected last year, I've been curious
about the appearance of the seeds that remain, but didn't germinate.  Of
those, the ones I've been most curious about are the ones from the green
seeds planted.  I did six pods and planted them in pots as soon as I shelled
them out.  Then immediately stuck the pots in the refrigerator until I took
them out last fall when I planted the rest of the seed crop normally.  I
thought they'd wait 'til spring to germinate, but 5 pots - each with its own
pod planted, sprouted.  The first sprouts appeared the first week.  Mostly
they sprouted over the next 3 weeks, but there was sporadic sprouting all
during the winter months.  I figured that the green seeds had probably just
rotted if they didn't sprout.  Not so!  When removing the seedlings, I found
slick, shiny and quite healthy appearing seeds still in the pot.  The seeds
planted in the usual manner also look to be healthy, but they aren't shiny
and slick like those planted green.  Maybe since germination was so very bad
this year (the green seeds had the best percentage of germination), I'll
have fall and winter seedlings to fret over again.  I hope so.  There were
some pods I'd really like to have seen germinate that didn't.

I didn't actually handle the green seeds exactly as they should have been
handled because I didn't quite have what I was supposed to do quite right.
I think since I have so few pods this spring, I'm going to try all of them
via the green seed planting method.

As and experiment, I have taken a number of pots of pods and currently have
them in the refrigerator.  When I plant this year's crop, I'll take them out
and see if I see any germination in the air-conditioned house.  Hopefully I
will and have some plants large enough to line out this fall before winter.
I probably will also take some of the many still outside and fish out the
seeds and roll up ala Linda Mann's instructions and put in the refrigerator.
At least then I could see what was going on with them.  Most will have to go
through the normal process of waiting 'til fall or next spring.  Too many
pods last year.  I should be very grateful they all didn't sprout.

The pods from this year the raccoons (or something) ripped off and dropped
on the ground have laid around a week or more. Today I shelled them and
surprisingly, they appear to be more or less normal seeds except they are
totally white.  They haven't quite dried up completely yet, but I decided to
soak them overnight and will plant them green.  I'll stow them away a month
or so in warmer conditions, then put them in the refrigerator.  Possibly
won't take them out 'til spring next year.  Not sure yet.  There may not be
any germination, but the seeds sure look more promising that I would have
expected.  Besides, I really wanted that cross, so I'm going to try.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.