RE: CULT: Tennessee State Flower

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] CULT: Tennessee State Flower
  • From: "Greg McCullough" <icity@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 13:59:16 -0500

Unfortunately, Tennessee designated the iris as the state flower, but didn't
select a particular species or color. The one generally depicted looks like
I. germanica or something from a Van Gogh painting.  The vanity iris tag has
depicted two different irises since its inception, just adding to the
confusion. I bought TENNESSEE BICENTENNIAL from the Memphis Botanical
Gardens a couple of years ago and may have enough this year to sell (the
hybridizer donated all the stock to the Gardens). They might also contact
the Gardens to see if they have any for sale.

Greg McCullough
Iris City Gardens
Primm Springs, TN US (just southwest of Nashville)
zone 6