Re: HYB: Pollination

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Pollination
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:43:44 -0400

Last time we hashed through all this, seems like I remember some
knowledgeable person said that each VISIBLE iris pollen "grain" is
actually made up of hundreds of individual pollen grains, each
theoretically capable of growing a pollen tube & fertilizing an ovum to
make a seed.  I think.

The only parts we didn't resolve before (as I recall, & I no longer
trust my memory) is how long it takes the pollen tubes to form, how long
it takes the stigmatic lip to become unreceptive to further pollen, &
what route(s) they take to get into the various parts of the future
pod.  No question that pollen from one stigmatic lip can (often does)
fertilize all three chambers, but I don't remember anyone saying for
sure if pollen from different papas placed on different stigmatic lips
at about the same time would all have a chance of fertilizing an ovum.

I have a few tough irises that are being quite stubborn either about
accepting pollen or setting pods on other irises.  As I run out of
flowers (never thought I'd be grateful for that happening!) to cross,
and find I still don't have some of the crosses I wanted, I'm double,
triple, and quadruple pollinating with multiple pollen sources on the
last blooms to increase the chances of at least getting something.  At
this point in my grand hybridizing plan, I'm still trying to get a few
tough reliable readily fertile ancestors, so really won't care who's the

I haven't searched the archives to see what we said before - <pollen
tube> might locate the thread.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!