Re: HYB: more wisdom re: pollination

  • Subject: Re: HYB: more wisdom re: pollination
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 17:15:02 -0400

More comments from Sharon McAllister, posed Dec 15, 1996:

<It usually takes some time for the pollen to fully ripen after a flower
 opened, so although it could be done earlier I normally harvest pollen
in the  evening.  [I've found that this varies considerably among
cultivars here - LM]

 The best time [to pollinate] is when the stigmatic lip has just opened
up and is shiny & moist. Usually that's early morning or just about
dusk.   How long it will be receptive depends on the environment.  Cool
& humid gives a lot more leeway than hot & dry.   Here, evening crosses
seem to give the best percentage of takes.  My   theory is that the
cooler night temperatures promote pollen tube growth better
 than the hot, and often windy, afternoons.  Yes, it IS possible to make
 by flashlight -- but I try to get in out of the garden before the
centipedes  come out.
 ....... In terms of getting "takes", it's better to force the flower
open than wait until
it has been open so long it's dried out.     Sharon McAllister  Southern
New Mexico>

All I'm going to dig out today - found by searching for 'tube'.

If you want to see more of what folks have had to say, search for
pollination (correct spelling) as well as pollinization & pollenation -
since the goal is communication, acknowledge all spellings or you'll
miss out on useful information <g>

Linda Mann

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.