Re: OT: A source for Chimeras?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] OT: A source for Chimeras?
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 19:15:57 -0500

Bill asks,

>I would first like to know how many chromosomes an iris chemera has?
>I would also like to know (curious) why anyone would want one?

Why might they not have the same as any other iris?  Is visual thing we are
calling a 'chimera' a true chimera by definition?  I hadn't thought so,
though I do find the description a useful one for the time being.

As to why anyone would want one?  What a loaded question this is.  I'll
bite.  I don't really like the appearance as a personal preference.  But the
possible genetic causes for the phenotype is intriguing.  If these are
really very recessive traits, then in my case I would wonder how they might
interact with an arilbred (my main interest in the daubing area).  Could
they be recessive enough to allow more aril traits to appear in the progeny?
So I might try that route with them.  Not to get or fix the trait, but to
see if its presence would allow me to get something else I wanted that I
might not normally be able to see.  Genotypes interest me, but they aren't
always visible in the phenotype, so sometimes (my foot - most of the time)
it's hard to know what all comprises the genotype.  Anytime you could locate
a partner that could expose more of the genotype of the other partner it
could be a valuable bit of information to have to work with, even if the
results were compost candidates of the first order.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.