Re: Re: CULT: Short stalks

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: Short stalks
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 19:35:54 -0500

There is one other weather related cause of short stalks in my opinion.
That is constant wind while the stalks are in rapid growth.  The difference
between an exposed plant growing stalks and one protected from the wind can
be as much as 6 inches on the same cultivar - in my experience.  Those grown
in exposure are much stouter and less likely to get knocked over by the
blasts that find every crevice to blow in.  But on an iris that might
normally be a 30-32 inch stalk, it makes a difference in their appearance
when they lose those inches.  So it has both a benefit and a draw back.
Fewer blown over stalks on the shorter growth, but not as attractive.  I've
never made up my mind as to whether it's a good thing or not.  I think in
those years when the wind stays constantly high during bloom season, it may
be helpful.  But it does deprive me of seeing them the way I'd like to see
them.  On the other hand, I'm not all that fond of prone stems or staking.
So...

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA