Re: CULT: Tennessee State Flower

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Tennessee State Flower
  • From: MWill68323@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 20:34:08 EDT

I will defer to Greg regarding I germanica, I'm sure he's more knowledgeable
that I am...in fact I know he is<G>.  These are just a few things I found on
the net.

From the Tn education site:

The iris (Genus Iridaceae) was designated as the state cultivated flower by
the Legislature in 1933. While there are several different colors among the
iris, the purple iris is commonly accepted as the state flower.

From Tennessee State Flowers site:

   Nashville, Tennessee became known as the “Iris City.” In 1931, the
Nashville Iris Association was formed. Iris fans joined forces and campaigned
for the adoption of the iris as the Tennessee state flower. It was adopted in
1933.   Irises come in different colors. But the purple iris is commonly
accepted as the state flower.

Learn something new...it is the Tennessee State CULTIVATED flower:

Cultivated Flower
The iris, genus Iridaceae, is an herbacious perennial of which there are
about 170 species, including several North American varieties, the most
common of which is the Blue Flag. While there are several different colors
among the iris, and the act naming the iris as the state flower did not name
a particular color, by common acceptance the purple iris is considered the
state flower

Zone 6b/7

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!