Re: OT: A source for Chimeras?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] OT: A source for Chimeras?
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 20:56:12 EDT

Ploidy chimeras are common in plants treated with colchicine, part of the
tissues being converted to tetraploidy, other parts remaining diploid. This
is what caused my initial confusion.

I appreciate your explanation of how the term is binging used to describe a
specific bloom color characteristic rather than genetic makeup of a cultivar.
Some more research after your post indicates that such mutations usually
revert to that of the parent plant.

How do chimeras, as this post is using the term, differ from broken color as
this post uses that term?

Thanking yawl in advance cause soon as I learn the language I want have to
type so much.

Bill Burleson 7a/b
Old South Iris Society

Buy Stock for $4