Re: Re: HYB:seeds that didn't germinate

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB:seeds that didn't germinate
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 19:36:35 -0700

I am interested in this discussion because I have about 20 huge pods from crosses that I really want, and I know I'm not going to be able to plant them next spring because of lack of space.  The guest irises will leave during the summer giving me plenty of room for seedlings.  I plan to dry the seed as usual, then soak them in early spring, refrigerate them during the summer and plant them in Sept. or Oct. at the time of  my regular planting.  I think with a row cover to protect them from our light freezes, they will make it through the winter ok.  I don't want to lose a year of my hybridizing.
Francelle Edwards    Glendale,  AZ  Zone 9