Re: A source for Chimeras?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] A source for Chimeras?
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 07:54:38 -0600

> From: Tom Greaves <tomg@iadfw.net>
> What I am looking for is the iris whose picture was posted
> in January.  Each petal in its falls was half blue and half
> white.  It was called a chimera and I had the feeling that
> it was a type of iris as opposed to the name of a cv.

I believe that this type of pattern in the flower, which is the result of a
somatic mutation (a genetic change in some, but not all, tissues of an
existing organism (such as an iris plant), and not in the gametes (pollen
and ovules)) cannot be perpetuated. The reason is that as the mutated
rhizome develops increase, the increase on the same side as the white part
of the chimeric flower will bloom all white, as they consist entirely of
mutated tissue, and the increase on the same side as the colored part of
the chimeric flower will be solidly colored, as they contain no mutated
tissue. That is my understanding of what happened with the novelty iris
GOOD AND PLENTY that Orville Fay introduced in 1952 from a chimeric plant.
People who ordered it received two rhizomes, one that bloomed all blue and
one that bloomed all white.

HIPS Commercial Source Chairman

Your opinion is very important to us!