Re: REB: Smith vs Gibson vs G.P. Brown genes

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] REB: Smith vs Gibson vs G.P. Brown genes
  • From: cathycampi@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 16:14:06 EDT

In a message dated 5/21/02 1:12:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

> It seems like rebloomers with G.P.Brown rebloomer background (several
> Zurbrigg irises) are more reliable, less likely to stunt, more likely to
> bloom, more likely to be pod & pollen fertile, and more likely to thrive
> here than rebloomers with Smith (PURPLE DUET, BLACK DUET) or Gibson
> (GIBSON GIRL?) backgrounds.
> Comments, observations from others?
> Are there other major progenitor hybridizers of rebloom genes?

Rebloomers that were created,grown and sold in similar climates are the best.
Zurbriggs iris do well for us. I agree with jreeds that Monty Byers iris are
vigorous and very hardy.Hagers and Lauers are from just down the street so
they do well. Suttons have a lot of rebloomers and are rated by zone in their
catalog. I would recommend you stay away from early bloomers for your
weather. Double Shot is an outstanding and multi-blooming iris but started
blooming in early March here. A tad bit early for you maybe...

Uh.. Multi bloomer is what I call my iris that bloom more than twice a year.

Cathy Campi
Stockton Ca. Zone 9+

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.