OT: annual copperhead post

  • Subject: OT: annual copperhead post
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:40:45 -0500

I know I do this every year, but I was reminded today that those who live
where these and similar critters may be attracted to the flotsam and jetsam
the garden environment accumulates, to be aware.  I will be jumping every
time the wind moves a leaf, or step on one of the many dog sticks they drag
around and every time a grasshopper jumps.  Since there are a kajillion
grasshoppers now shredding every iris leaf in sight, I will be jumping a lot
for the next week or so.  I was moving a railroad tie to make a new bed for
the seedlings still left and two were contentedly curled up underneath it.
About 1 1/2 foot from an arilbred patch and 4 ft from the entrance to the
garage.  I guess I'll start using the flashlight instead of wandering around
at night without it.  I don't know when I dropped the railroad tie, but I'm
glad it didn't land on my foot.  That would have done more damage than a
bite, I suspect.  Naturally I found them BEFORE I went into the pasture to
get some cinder blocks for the ends of the bed.  Instead of just worrying
about wasps and black widow spiders......well, it just took longer than it
would have :).  At first I was glad the dogs hadn't been bitten, but then I
was thinking what use these gifts from unknown persons are if they can't at
least wart the things away?  They are about to clean me out of lizards and I
want those!

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA