Re: ADMIN: Changing servers

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] ADMIN: Changing servers
  • From: "D. Patterson" <nye@fidalgo.net>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:49:21 -0700

Iris Moose wrote:

[...]
> If it gets to voting, then I favor a newsgroup option because of the ability
> to reach more people than the private list.
[...]

Although the newsgroups offer many advantages, they also offer some
serious problems not seen by some users. The problem with using
newsgroups is the declining support by many ISPs, who are finding the
costs for labor and services too onerous to continue. There is a
dialogue going on among the major ISPs and many minor ISPs, and they are
contemplating a widespread and across the board discontinuance of their
support for USENET in the not too distant future. As it is now, many
ISPs subscribe to only a limited number of the most popular newsgroups.
Many of the moderated newsgroups cannot receive a post from many
newsgroup posters, because their newserver configurations are now
incompatible. Consequently, the maillists are substantially more
reliable and more accessable for the people who lack full and reliable
access to the NNTP servers. These issues need to be addressed adequately
before they are adopted.

Dallas Patterson
nye@fidalgo.net

Buy Stock for $4