Re: COMP:Changing servers

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] COMP:Changing servers
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 06:22:21 -0500

I have never been able to subscribe to newsgroups with our little
ISP.  I would hate to think of iris-talk going there and losing it as a
result.

Annoying ads on Yahoo lists were discussed once before and just
recently somebody mentioned one with a girl and a camera.  I do
not get these ads and never have.  I guess they are filtered out.   I
just get the little non-picture ads at the bottom of a message and a
footliner or two asking me if I yahoo, which I now feel I am too old
to do.

I do not mention the above as favoring Yahoo.  I'd bring back
Route 66 and iris-l if I could!    Whatever we do, please keep
Mallorn Archives.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

On 23 May 2002 at 21:49, D. Patterson wrote:

> Iris Moose wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > If it gets to voting, then I favor a newsgroup option because of the
> > ability to reach more people than the private list.
> [...]
> >

> Although the newsgroups offer many advantages, they also offer some
> serious problems not seen by some users. The problem with using
> newsgroups is the declining support by many ISPs, who are finding the
> costs for labor and services too onerous to continue. There is a
> dialogue going on among the major ISPs and many minor ISPs, and they
> are contemplating a widespread and across the board discontinuance of
> their support for USENET in the not too distant future. As it is now,
> many ISPs subscribe to only a limited number of the most popular
> newsgroups. Many of the moderated newsgroups cannot receive a post
> from many newsgroup posters, because their newserver configurations
> are now incompatible. Consequently, the maillists are substantially
> more reliable and more accessable for the people who lack full and
> reliable access to the NNTP servers. These issues need to be addressed
> adequately before they are adopted.
>
> Dallas Patterson
> nye@fidalgo.net

Buy Stock for $4