RE: Re: Missing posts

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Re: Missing posts
  • From: "Steve Szabo" <stevesz@erols.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 09:57:42 -0400

Just to add some confusion to the pot here.  I run an e-mail server for a
smallish company (80 accounts of which 45 are users private accounts) and
for another company (8 users with about 12 accounts).  Many of these users
do send mail to various Yahoo accounts.  Each time I look at  the NDRs
(non-delivery reports) there are a number that are because the e-mail server
was unable to communicate with Yahoo (Hotmail also has the same problem).
Of course, this precludes the user who figured they could send a 63 MB
attachment to a Yahoo account <g>.  I have not spoken to the users to find
out what they do when they receive a copy of the NDR, but I suspect they
just resend it until it goes through.

I would therefore suspect that the problem is on the Yahoo side and not the
sender's side.  Since there are messages that you have sent, and are not
shown on the list and/or in the archives, there must also be a problem with
the send side as well.

I've not tracked the times of the NDRs from Yahoo, but they do seem to come
in clusters, and this may be indicative of periods of high usage at Yahoo.
However, both servers do try, for a period of time to send the messages--one
for 24 hours, the other for 48 hours--so, they should go through eventually,
but they do not.  I do suspect another force is at work here.  The theory I
have on that is that to help preclude the  spread of Spam, they do what is
known as an rDNS lookup.  When the lookup fails, so does the message and it
should be rejected with an NDR.

If you do not receive an NDR (So sorry, but we could not deliver your
message. etc.), then the message did make it to the recipient, in this case,
the list.  Then the problem becomes why you did not receive it back in your
inbox.  For messages that you have sent, but not received, have you tried
looking in the archives maintained here on Yahoo?  You need to be a Yahoo
member, and then enter the URL http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iris-talk/ into
your browser, login and scroll down to the bottom of the screen to see the
archives.  Select the month and look for your missing message.  If it is
there, then it got delivered to Yahoo.  If it isn't, then you should have
received a copy of the NDR from your ISP.  If the latter is the case, then
you might want to wander through the telephone maze to get to customer
support for your ISP and then try to have them track down the cause of the
problem.  You might have to fight to get it escalated to a level where
someone can actually help you (at one of the companies I am associated with,
I am one of those upper level people, and we don't make it easy to get to us
<g>, we value our time).

If John does move the list, there is no guarantee that this will not happen
at the next location, but if it is a location strictly set up for mail
lists, then it is likely that the occurrence of such things is more remote
than at Yahoo, where they seem to be trying to be all things to all people.

Any further questions, please go through our Level One technical support for

Actually, I'll be happy to make this more clear if I can, but it may take a
couple of days for me to get back to you as I am pretty far behind on my
e-mail right now, and I may need to run this stuff through to a less
technically oriented person to try to make it clearer than the mud in your
iris bed after a heavy rain <g>.

No. VA Zone 6/7
though there are people who maintain I am in my own zone.