Re: Re: SNOW!!

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: SNOW!!
  • From: "D. Patterson" <nye@fidalgo.net>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 13:42:23 -0700

colorado_2_21_64 wrote:

> ---
> << Put up snow flags along the edges of the sidewalk, so UPS will
> know  where to deliver the species iris you ordered for the summer
> planting  <g>.   Dallas Patterson >>
>
> Oh har har -- LoL!  Actually it turned out to be an amazing spring
> snow that doused everything.  It's already melted and the ground is
> saturated.  Big break since we've been our worst drought in 97 years!
> You may have heard about the fire in Pike National Forest.  I'll bet
> THEY'RE breathing a sigh of relief!  ~ Lindi

Yes. We passed through the region last month on our way back to
Washington from Illinois. We sidestepped the forest fires by going to
Cheyenne, Wyoming; thunderstorms and hail; a snowstorm near Rock City,
Wyoming; and Ogden, Utah. The daffodils were just beginning to blossom
in Kansas. The iris were still too cold on the Great Plains. We were at
Mountain View, Colorado, when we witnessed some high comedy.

The Mountain View Fire Departmnet fire truck was sitting at a stoplight
on a four lane highway. When the light changed to green, the firetruck
took off, and the brass connector on the fire hose came flying off the
backend of the firetruck and bounced on the pavement. All of the vehcles
started honking their horns and flashing their lights to alert the
firecrew, but to no avail. The firecrew paid no attention to all of the
ruckus, and the firetruck just accelerated off into the setting sun in
the West. As they disappeared down the highway, everyone stopped to
watch yard after yard of the firehose flipping off the backend of the
firetruck and onto the highway. It wasn't long before all of the
firehose was off of the firetruck and the firetruck was little more than
a dot in a dustcloud on the far far horizon.

Recovering from the surprise, the traffic slowly picked its way around
and across the firehose laid out down the intersection and the highway.

After dinner a half hour later, the firehose was gone when we came
through the same intersection. The restaurant said the firecrew stops
there to eat every week, and the firecrew was going to have some
explaining to do about the taxpayers' money <grin>.

<weather.com> shows some snow storms in Colorado and Wyoming. It looks
dry upwind.

Dallas Patterson
nye@fidalgo.net

Buy Stock for $4