RE: Duh? Computer Geek Question

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Duh? Computer Geek Question
  • From: "Steve Szabo" <stevesz@erols.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 23:24:33 -0400

I am not registered at the site, but I went there anyway to see what it
looks like.  It has a brief disclaimer and information on registering.
Clicking on the Name Data button took me to a page that presented a
JavaScript window to log in..  Since I have no log-in, it then took me to
the Authorization page you mentioned.

What you should try is this (biting my tongue to refrain from derogatory AOL
comments as well as derogatory Microsoft comments especially related to
Windows ME):

1.  Connect to AOL using the AOL software.

2.  Minimize the software and bring up the Internet Explorer (IE) that is on
your machine.

3.  If this is the first time you are using IE, it will bring up the setup
wizard for IE.  Go thru the steps by selecting a LAN connection, select no
when asked about setting up e-mail and choose automatic detection of
settings.  (Setting it up this way means you can only use it AFTER you have
connected to AOL.)

4.  When IE comes up, it will have MSN set as the home page.  You can change
this, if you want, but it is not important.

5.  In the address bar, type in the URL for the database.  All you need to
type is www.irisregister.com the rest will be added to the URL as IE does
its thing.

6.  Now try to log in to the site.

7.  Once this has been done, you will probably be best served if you go to
the Tools menu and select Windows Update.  Click on product updates which
will want to install an Active-X application on your machine--let it, and
apply the critical updates at a minimum.  This is likely to be a rather
large download, so be prepared with a copy of _War and Peace_ or other
suitably large book top read while you are downloading.  Hopefully, AOL will
not cut you off while the download is in progress.

8.  If this does not work, revert to AOL 6.  There seems to be a number of
inconsistencies in the latest release of the ?AOL software that has broken a
lot of sites outside of AOL.  What seems to be happening here is that you
are not able to use the JavaScript on the page.  There may be a setting in
the AOL software to enable java and JavaScript, but you got me as to where
it might be.  There should be a help text somewhere that will explain how to
enable this.