Re: OT: annual copperhead post

  • Subject: Re: OT: annual copperhead post
  • From: "carolcc5" <Carolcc5@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 06:23:30 -0000

Hey Donald!  Dontcha got cats??  No one drops them off also?  My
experience, and others agree with me, is that cats keep the snakes
away.  In my 7 1/2 years in the country, I have seen only two
snakes.  One a baby king snake and the other a large grass snake.
Also have only seen three scorpions.  The vet tells me that the cats
keep them down.  Cats also might keep your dogs occupied and give the
lizards a break.  They'll kill lizards if they get a chance but mine
are pretty lazy and don't hunt much.  Too well-fed, no doubt.

Along this same line of thinking, we also don't have ticks, b-e-c-a-u-
s-e, WE HAVE FIRE ANTS!!  And we don't use killer baits and such on
them because we'd kill off the native ants which fight the fire-
ants.  We never kill a wasp since they feed caterpillars to their
larvae.  And they never bother us if we don't bother them!  See how
this just keeps on!  My only problem is figuring out where mosquitoes
and roaches fit into the scheme of things.  M's. might be for fish-
food but I think the Almighty may have lost His edge when He made the

Anyhow, being gardeners, we do have to stay alert for the unexpected
and always be prepared to be astonished by the beauty that pops up
from those ordinary looking rhizomes!

Carol, in sunny central TX where it has forgotten how to rain.

--- In iris-talk@y..., "Donald Eaves" <donald@e...> wrote:
> I know I do this every year, but I was reminded today that those
who live
> where these and similar critters may be attracted to the flotsam
and jetsam
> the garden environment accumulates, to be aware.  I will be jumping
> time the wind moves a leaf, or step on one of the many dog sticks
they drag
> around and every time a grasshopper jumps.  Since there are a
> grasshoppers now shredding every iris leaf in sight, I will be
jumping a lot
> for the next week or so.  I was moving a railroad tie to make a new
bed for
> the seedlings still left and two were contentedly curled up
underneath it.
> About 1 1/2 foot from an arilbred patch and 4 ft from the entrance
to the
> garage.  I guess I'll start using the flashlight instead of
wandering around
> at night without it.  I don't know when I dropped the railroad tie,
but I'm
> glad it didn't land on my foot.  That would have done more damage
than a
> bite, I suspect.  Naturally I found them BEFORE I went into the
pasture to
> get some cinder blocks for the ends of the bed.  Instead of just
> about wasps and black widow spiders......well, it just took longer
than it
> would have :).  At first I was glad the dogs hadn't been bitten,
but then I
> was thinking what use these gifts from unknown persons are if they
can't at
> least wart the things away?  They are about to clean me out of
lizards and I
> want those!
> Donald Eaves
> donald@e...