CULT: non-blooming iris: Re: novice with irises

  • Subject: CULT: non-blooming iris: Re: novice with irises
  • From: "gesinelohr" <GesineLohr@excite.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:48:33 -0000

Hi,

Are the iris planted in a sunny spot?  They can deal with not
total sun (as in our plantings), but really need as much sun
as they can get (except in very hot areas).

Good drainage?

Do you fertilize them at all?  When I was starting with iris,
I never fertilized, and when I started to, bloom really increased.
(use fertilizer that's for iris, don't want too much nitrogen).

Are you cutting back the leaves after bloom time?  DON'T do this,
many people do.  The plant is gathering energy for increase
and health.  We cut the browning fan tops off in like November,
to help avoid rot -- but then they've had all summer to grow.

They do need SOME water.  When you plant a new rhizome, you
should keep it somewhat moist until you see new green growth.

With iris I buy, trade for, find, or are given, we've had about
a 60% bloom rate in the first spring after planting.  Sometimes
ones planted in say October, bloom 7 months later.

Are the rhizomes crowded and needing division?

Gesine

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!