Re: CULT: non-blooming iris: Re: novice with irises

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: non-blooming iris: Re: novice with irises
  • From: Anne McManus <joeannemchig@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 07:43:32 -0700 (PDT)

 Thanks for the response, no they are not in an overly sunny spot, in fact if anything its shady, I have lots of pine trees in the yard.  They have not been cut back and the leaves themselves look very robust.  They were in big clumps last year and I thought that was the reason for no flowers so I have spread them out, but again no flowers.  I haven't tried the fertilizer but will do that.  Do you suggest any particular kind?  Thanks so much for your help.  I was at the point of digging them all up and trying something else.   gesinelohr <GesineLohr@excite.com> wrote: Hi,

Are the iris planted in a sunny spot?  They can deal with not
total sun (as in our plantings), but really need as much sun
as they can get (except in very hot areas).

Good drainage?

Do you fertilize them at all?  When I was starting with iris,
I never fertilized, and when I started to, bloom really increased.
(use fertilizer that's for iris, don't want too much nitrogen).

Are you cutting back the leaves after bloom time?  DON'T do this,
many people do.  The plant is gathering energy for increase
and health.  We cut the browning fan tops off in like November,
to help avoid rot -- but then they've had all summer to grow.

They do need SOME water.  When you plant a new rhizome, you
should keep it somewhat moist until you see new green growth.

With iris I buy, trade for, find, or are given, we've had about
a 60% bloom rate in the first spring after planting.  Sometimes
ones planted in say October, bloom 7 months later.

Are the rhizomes crowded and needing division?

Gesine

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!