Re: CULT:Ugly Irises

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT:Ugly Irises
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 21:00:16 -0500

>I so hate to see iris bashed if the basher has not seen them growing in
>conditions in many different areas.

Of the two I mentioned, I have seen them grown in different locales under
different conditions.  But I think the point here is not bashing, but the
variability of perception and taste in the eyes of the beholders.  I would
not avoid acquiring any iris because it made such a list.  I think what is
considered a 'good iris' is too restrictive anyway.  Bringing dislikes to
the table does as much, and possibly more, to freeing up and challenging
current definitions than merely talking about the likes.  Favorite lists are
only half the story.  Those, too, might be perceived otherwise if seen
growing under different conditions in many different areas.  This list
comprises just those different areas and conditions.  Therefore it is an
opportunity to hear the dislikes, then compare it with what one knows and
with reactions from others. I really doubt it's possible for many of us to
travel enough to see many in too many locations during iris bloom season.
By the time we did that, a lot of current iris would then be in the
'historic' category.  Plus, there is a good bit of humor in admitting what
one doesn't like.  Walter's list wasn't all that short, were there really
only a couple you disagreed with?

I disagree on THORNBIRD, though it does bloom considerably prettier in its
current location than it did in the first one here.  I liked BABOON'S BOTTOM
when I saw it growing in Dallas.  I also like JUNGLE SHADOWS and GREEN AND
GIFTED, those I mentioned from the Iris-Photos thread, they both grow here
and aren't likely to be removed anytime soon.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.